An Evening of Gilbert & Sullivan
Marion Leeds Carroll, Program Coordinator; Scott Brumit, Master of Ceremonies; James Hay, Accompanist
August 8, 2017 at 7:30pm
Christ Episcopal Church, Needham, MA
My kindly friends / Oh, happy young heart - The Sorcerer
Aline welcomes her friends to her betrothal feast
- Marion Leeds Carroll, soprano
A tenor all singers above, Utopia, Ltd.
When the higher qualities of the heart are all that can be desired, the higher notes of the voice are matters of comparative insignificance.
- Thomas Frates, Captain Fitzbattleaxe
When the night wind howls, Ruddigore
We spectres are a jollier crew than you, perhaps, suppose.
- Tom Weber (and men - or anyone who wants to sing along)
Love is a plaintive song, Patience
I don’t believe you know what love is!
- Lyndie Laramore, soprano
I once was a very abandoned person, Ruddigore
This sort of thing takes a deal of training...
- Juliet Cunningham, soprano, Tom Weber, baritone
Oh better far to live and die, The Pirates of Penzance
I don't think much of our profession, but, contrasted with respectability, it is comparatively honest.
- Stuart Cabral, baritone
Oh false one!, The Pirates of Penzance
You told me you were fair as gold -
Tom Frates, baritenor; Carolyn Schwartz, alto
The hours creep on apace, HMS Pinafore
*** Intermission ***
Will Jospephine elope with a lowly sailor?
- Stephanie Mann, soprano
I am the very model of a modern Major-General, The Pirates of Penzance
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus
- Ben Morse, baritone, plus company (and audience)
When Britain really ruled the waves, Iolanthe
With a House of Peers composed exclusively of people of intellect, what's to become of the House of Commons?
- Tom Weber, baritone, plus company and audience)
Never mind the why and wherefore, HMS Pinafore
Love levels all ranks.
- Stephanie Mann, Josephine; Tom Frates, Captain; Ben Morse, Sir Joseph
Three little maids from school, The Mikado
Yum-Yum this day to Ko-Ko is to be united
- Stephanie Mann, Yum-Yum; Juliet Cunningham, Peep-Bo; Marion Carroll, Pitti-Sing
Alone, and yet alive, The Mikado
Who knows so well as I that no one ever yet died of a broken heart...
- Carolyn Schwartz, alto
On a tree by a river, The Mikado
I knew the bird intimately...
- Ben Morse, baritone
There is beauty in the bellow of the blast, The Mikado
I think I am sufficiently decayed
- Carolyn Schwartz, alto; Ben Morse, baritone
Hail, Poetry, The Pirates of Penzance
What, we ask, is life without a touch of Poetry in it?
- Stuart Cabral, baritone; full company plus audience